Things Church Ushers and Waiters Should Never Do

via GarryKnight on Flickr

via GarryKnight on Flickr

Restaurateur-to-be Bruce Buschel put together a popular list of 100 things he thinks wait staff should never, ever do. Many of these lessons also apply to church ushers and greeters. Here are the ones (in the original order) worth sharing with your welcoming ministry.

Don’t Act Like a New York Waiter and Other Things Church Ushers Should Never Do

1. Do not let anyone enter the restaurant without a warm greeting.
(Substitute “church” for “restaurant” and the advice still holds up.)

2. Do not make a singleton feel bad. Do not say, “Are you waiting for someone?”

7. Do not announce your name. No jokes, no flirting, no cuteness.
WRONG! Wear a name tag by all means and introduce yourself if appropriate. Of course, skip the flirting; leave that to the young adults ministry.

8. Do not interrupt a conversation. For any reason. Especially not to recite specials. Wait for the right moment.
(A smile will do if your guests are already in conversation.)

9. Do not recite the specials too fast or robotically or dramatically. It is not a soliloquy. This is not an audition.
(Speak meaningfully.)

14. When you ask, “How’s everything?” or “How was the meal?” listen to the answer and fix whatever is not right.

15. Never say “I don’t know” to any question without following with, “I’ll find out.”

23. If someone likes a wine, steam the label off the bottle and give it to the guest with the bill. It has the year, the vintner, the importer, etc.
(The corollary for churches is to offer a bulletin or program up front.)

25. Make sure the glasses are clean. Inspect them before placing them on the table.
(Clean up the pews. Make sure the entrance area is neat.)

32. Never touch a customer. No excuses. Do not do it. Do not brush them, move them, wipe them or dust them.
WRONG! A helping hand or a handshake can be appropriate at times.

33. Do not bang into chairs or tables when passing by.
Duh.

34. Do not have a personal conversation with another server within earshot of customers.
WRONG! You can display some humanity, but take it easy.

35. Do not eat or drink in plain view of guests.
(Share the doughnuts after Mass.)

36. Never reek from perfume or cigarettes. People want to smell the food and beverage. Or the incense.

37. Do not drink alcohol on the job, even if invited by the guests. “Not when I’m on duty” will suffice.
(Again, not before Mass.)

38.Do not call a guy a “dude.” 39. Do not call a woman “lady.”
(Ushers probably can greet them without such terms.)

41. Saying, “No problem” is a problem. It has a tone of insincerity or sarcasm. “My pleasure” or “You’re welcome” will do.
(Mea culpa.)

42. Do not compliment a guest’s attire or hairdo or makeup. You are insulting someone else.
WRONG! It’s not insulting, but it is inappropriate. Don’t suggest that what’s on the outside is more important than the inside.

45. Do not curse, no matter how young or hip the guests.
(%$@*& good advice.)

46. Never acknowledge any one guest over and above any other. All guests are equal.
WRONG! Kids and seniors are exceptions.

47. Do not gossip about co-workers or guests within earshot of guests.
(Don’t gossip at all!)

49. Never mention the tip, unless asked.
Don’t ask for the donation on the way in.

50. Do not turn on the charm when it’s tip time. Be consistent throughout.
Be sincere.

That’s my take on the dos and don’ts for ushers from the original list. What are the best ushers at your church doing?

About these ads

35 thoughts on “Things Church Ushers and Waiters Should Never Do

1. Dean Soto November 6, 2009 at 4:25 am Reply

Nice parrallel! I am amazed at how effective #1 is. We had a hospitality team at our parish established and it was funny to see the people’s reactions as they entered the Church. They initially avoided the greeters because they thought that they were asking for donations, but when they realized they were just saying hello they were thrilled. Very interesting. Semms like #1 and #49 go together pretty well lol!

• Mark Alves November 7, 2009 at 1:27 am Reply

Our parish council includes a representative from each Mass slot. They also serve as greeters. The arrangement makes it convenient to identify your rep and to bring up a point with them as needed.

• Dean Soto November 9, 2009 at 3:39 pm

That’s a good idea. That would solve one of the problems my father-in-law (who runs the hospitality group at our parish) faces.

Currently, the ushers at our parish are a tight knit group and have literally made it an exclusive club. They rarely allow new blood in there. It’s as though they feel threatened by outsiders. It’s somewhat understandable, but if there were a rep at each mass, that might stem that attitude.

2. This is an interesting discussion. April 9, 2011 at 5:42 am Reply

No site address yet.

3. ckibwwej@gmail.com May 29, 2014 at 4:51 am Reply

I wish to write articles based on the information collected through some copyright books. I won’t copy – paste the material but edit or modify it in such a way that the meaning remains the same. I would also give credit to the books and their authors. Am I breaking any copyright laws?.

4. ckibwwej@gmail.com June 2, 2014 at 5:23 pm Reply

I would like to know if there is a way to post short stories, and ongoing episodes for a story online and that it gets legitimate copyright on a site. I want to avoid sending my material to get copyright each time I make an update to my stories. The bottom line is that I want to enjoy getting online feedback and not get stolen from..

5. ckibwwej@gmail.com June 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm Reply

Is there a way to forward other people’s blog posts to my site?

6. gucwpikgzx@gmail.com June 4, 2014 at 2:51 am Reply

It didn’t used to, the Specs are Nvidia 5500gt, 1gb RAM, so on, I know it’s not the latest computer out there, it’s mostly for playing very old games or surfing the internet. The computer automatically restarts at the beginning of a streaming video, it doesn’t even try to run it. I ran the computer in safe mode with networking at was able to stream video but there was no sound. It used to be able to stream video..

7. slxkrgf@gmail.com June 16, 2014 at 2:15 am Reply

How do I get traffic to a blog on blogger?. I need people to find my blog via keywords but I can’t find the Webmaster tool on blogger to do this. Or the Sitemap tab that supposedly exists. And how to do feeds. And I don’t understand how I sign up my blog with search engines. Can someone explain this to a beginner as myself? I’m entering a blog contest partly judged on comments left on the page, so getting the traffic there is important..

8. rkdrkwgb@gmail.com June 20, 2014 at 11:48 pm Reply

I’m looking for a free or cheap webhost to move my Joomla website to from my localhost. I want a webhost that doesn’t use Fantastico as its only method of installation? Any suggestions?.

9. wvfuasflezo@gmail.com June 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm Reply

heyas :-). how are you all?. well i love to write and i rele want to get into creative writing and but i have a hard time coming up with ideas on what to write about and was wondering if you knew how i could get over this “writer’s block”?. . thanks so much!!.

10. wvfuasflezo@gmail.com June 25, 2014 at 10:43 am Reply

I really love the sciences, especially chemistry and physics. But I also love the creative aspect of the spectrum, such as writing and books. I really want to write. Would it be smart to minor in English or Creative Writing but major in the sciences? Does it look acceptable? I’m new to college stuff, and I’m curious. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to advance my scientific or creative knowledge! I’m a Junior in high school..

11. slxkrgf@gmail.com June 25, 2014 at 3:29 pm Reply

I would like to remove the blogger and designer links on the attribution bar at the bottom of a blogger page. I know its not good to remove it and usually i don’t, but this is a page for a business so it needs to look clean and profesisonal..

12. rfhznz@gmail.com June 28, 2014 at 10:52 pm Reply

I’m wanting to download some videos from various different sites like youtube, Google videos, and a few other sites for my entertainment at home. I’ve downloaded an extension from Media Converter for Firefox, but I don’t see it anywhere. Can someone recommend an extension to allow me to download online videos?.

13. jpicnibbx@gmail.com June 29, 2014 at 8:45 am Reply

I’ve asked my older sister countless times to format my computer because I’m experiencing lag in the game I play. Btw, this computer has been formatted 4-5 times. But whenever I ask my sister to format my computer, she says no because she says that if you format a computer too much, the computer itself gets slower than it already was. Is this true? Or is that an excuse to get out of formatting my computer because it takes away her 2-3 hours?.

14. barpxfd@gmail.com June 29, 2014 at 4:41 pm Reply

I am working on an educational website and the owners wanted an article section where I put articles they indicate on the site. The articles come from news/magazine and other online article/new sources. I have been listing ?Article Taken From: (URL)? and a link to the original article. I thought that was enough, but I have heard from a friend that it isn?t. . This site is NOT yet publicly online, so I can change things to be legal before it becomes a legal problem.. . What do I need as a citation to make sure I don?t infringe on anyone?s copyright?. Do I need to do anything else other than listing a citation & link to be legal?. . Thank You all for helping!. SRGR.

15. dhjzmrxgdr@gmail.com June 30, 2014 at 3:43 am Reply

How do Microsoft and the owners of Firefox make money? Google is planning to create a browser also to compete with them called “chrome”. I was wondering where does the source of revenue come in? There are no ads, etc. These programs are free..

16. barpxfd@gmail.com July 1, 2014 at 7:26 am Reply

I want to know how to get the CSS code for rounded corners for my header, post background, and sidebar background! It’s for my blogspot blog. PLEASE tell me how to get the css code!.

17. jpicnibbx@gmail.com July 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm Reply

What’s a good site to post creative writing for others to comment on?

18. mcdqqvr@gmail.com July 3, 2014 at 1:59 am Reply

I have a website idea that i know will make me money, i just don’t know what to do and where to start..

19. xoyrbxjv@gmail.com July 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reply

I may have found something that is copyright infringement on associated content… What exactly happens if it’s reported?. Does associated content nail down on the writer? Or is the content simply removed?. Is the writer charged with criminal offenses?. Thanks..

20. barpxfd@gmail.com July 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm Reply

What do people think would be a good blog hosting website for creating a blog on? There are a lot I think so I don’t know which would be most useful and versatile..

21. wtiudectlca@gmail.com July 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm Reply

I’ve seen other bloggers have more than one image per post, but the templates blogspot only allows one image per post. Does anyone know the .html or is there something else I have to do to get multiple images?.

22. barpxfd@gmail.com July 6, 2014 at 5:47 am Reply

I’m curious, because I want to study creative writing in college. Thanks!.

23. mcdqqvr@gmail.com July 6, 2014 at 11:13 am Reply

I’m new to blogspot and I’m having a difficult time. How can I change the background to a picture I want?.

24. nwsvrzl@gmail.com July 6, 2014 at 11:19 am Reply

Is there a way to forward other people’s blog posts to my site?

25. dhjzmrxgdr@gmail.com July 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reply

What are the skills that I need to run a website business, I want to display some useful info on my site to earn money. I am not talking about designing part, I know how to launch a website but don’t know how to get advertisements from companies, marketing, managing, updating, customer service and there are many more things that we need to run a website business or any other business in which we are selling our services. Do I need to do any kind of course. Do I need to hire staff for it. Please help thanks..

26. dhjzmrxgdr@gmail.com July 8, 2014 at 5:05 am Reply

trying to determine whether my company blog should be housed on corp. website or using different platform like Blogspot? The goal is to drive as much qualified traffic to the “new” corp. website as possible. Also, what would be better from an SEO perspective?.

27. wtiudectlca@gmail.com July 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm Reply

I deleted my Blogspot account some time ago. However, I saved the link from the blog and it appears to still be active. I don’t understand what I did wrong. I cannot get to the blog by typing in the original address, but I can by following the link. I want this thing permanently deleted. Can anyone tell me how to do that?.

28. wtiudectlca@gmail.com July 14, 2014 at 1:49 pm Reply

Please answer both questions completely:. . What’s the easiest way to make sure that if I copyright something, that it’s mine without have to copyright each article or blog individually?. . ALSO: . . I’m a poet and I want to copyright my work without have to pay “per poem” – how can I do that, but also be able to get things copyrighted regularly?.

29. geseaqyvl@gmail.com July 16, 2014 at 5:45 am Reply

I’ve Googled around but no luck yet. The ones I’ve come across so far all have to do with MP3s, software and what not. If you have any in mind, please provide links to the sources. Many thanks in advance!.

30. zmfbsvk@gmail.com July 18, 2014 at 5:54 pm Reply

I want to start a website where i can put google adds on, i have 10 dollars to spend and i know that isn’t a lot but it is better than those free websites that don’t let you do anything. so how do i get started?.

31. zmfbsvk@gmail.com July 21, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply

I’m planning to create my own blog, and a question comes up to my mind..

32. gfhcuwukkv@gmail.com July 21, 2014 at 1:34 pm Reply

When installing Joomla on my computer in order to update a preexisting site, do I need my client to give me the Host Name, MySQL User Name, MySQL Password, MySQL Database NAme and MySQL Table Prefix? I already have their FTP information, and the Joomla admin control panel login information..

33. uatmozwuxd@gmail.com July 22, 2014 at 1:42 pm Reply

What computer software were computers using before Microsoft was invented? I googled it and couldn’t find any info on it. Thanks and no jokes or dissing please..