Opening Day in 2014 falls right after Laetare Sunday, giving us two opportunities to recognize that our long winter will not continue indefinitely. Last night’s flurries in DC, I must confess, briefly shook my confidence in that previous statement.
So how are church and baseball connected. Leo Durocher said, “Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand.” But my wife, sister-in-law and I found many more similarities between church and baseball that we’ve noted before. We were welcoming a friend and baseball fan into the Church one Easter in the early 1990s when we came up with this lis:
Top 10 Ways Going to Church Imitates Baseball
10. Sometimes you stand and sing, other times you sit.
9. It can go into extra innings.
8. Hard to follow without a program.
7. Organ music.
6. Uncomfortable seats.
5. Sometimes you spend more than you want to.
4. Gotta know how to read the signs.
3. Long line for alcohol.
2. You’re preparing for post-season play.
And the number 1 way going to church imitates baseball…
1. Ultimately, if you screw up, you get sent down.
If you’re making a good Lent, you’ll have a clean slate just like all the Opening Day teams. Enjoy your season and let us know any other similarities we can add to the list!