As the 2017 season starts, every team has a prayer of making it to the World Series. And speaking of prayer, did you ever notice that going to church is a lot like baseball?
Leo Durocher said, “Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand.” But my wife, sister-in-law and I found many more similarities between church and baseball that we’ve noted before. We were welcoming a friend and baseball fan into the Church one Easter through RCIA and came up with this list:
Top 10 Ways Going to Church Imitates Baseball
10. Sometimes you stand and sing, other times you sit.
9. It can go into extra innings.
8. Hard to follow without a program.
7. Organ music.
6. Uncomfortable seats.
5. Sometimes you spend more than you want to.
4. Gotta know how to read the signs.
3. Long line for alcohol.
2. You’re preparing for post-season play.
And the number 1 way going to church imitates baseball…
1. Ultimately, if you screw up, you get sent down.
If you’re making a good Lent, you’ll have a clean slate just like all the Opening Day teams. Enjoy your season and step up to the plate to add to the list with your own similarities.