Were you asleep at the controls or arguing about work policy and missed some Twitter news this week? Read on for Twitter headlines for the week of October 23, 2009.
The biggest news this week was answering the question, Who’s going to pilot our search for the latest Twitter topics? Bing declared itself the captain, but Google quickly responded with its own me-too (without a specific date, but it didn’t seem to matter).
If those absent minded Northwest pilots are looking for new jobs, Twitter can help although changing their avatar might not be a good idea (hat tip @TweetforBiz). Or was the in-flight movie that good? (Sure beats in-stream advertising, which might make you reach for the airsick bag.)
If those pilots try to go underground, take note that the CIA bought a stake in Twittering-monitoring service. But aren’t those protected tweets in fact exposed by Google asked the LA Times? Turns out the answer is no.
In other Twitter developments…
Twitter Services and Apps
- Klout measures influence on topics across the social web to find the people the world listens to (hat tip @jmpineda)
- Trendistic – see trends in Twitter
- See what’s trending on Twitter and why with WhatTheTrend.com
- P2 theme for WordPress for Twitterizing your site with live, inline comments
- 140trans – social translations for your tweet
- 9 Open Source Microblogging Applications
- 16 Cool Sites To Get Free Twitter Backgrounds
- Buddy Media releases tool for updating and tracking social media. Maybe they can make a tracker for airline flights?
- Twitter hits 5 billion tweets (not sure what that drops to if you exclude Guy Kawasaki and Scoble)
- Mob Rule! How Users Took Over Twitter
- Twitter supports net neutrality
- Pew says 1 in 5 tweet or do other status updates (but it’s 4 out of 5 dentists)
- Comcast: Twitter Has Changed The Culture Of Our Company
- #BeatCancer Sets Guinness World Record
- Can Twitter Replace RSS for Sharing the Best of the Web?
- Segment your audience
- Twitter abbreviations
- 5 Twitter Tips You May Not Know
- 20 Hilarious (well, amusing) Twitter Comic Strips
What was the biggest Twitter item that flew onto your radar this week?